Thursday, July 15, 2010

Flora and Fauna of Regency England ~ July

by Michele Ann Young
I can't quite believe that this is my third July post on this topic.





Our naturalist tells us that the Fringed Buckbean (I honestly find this a very odd name for a form of water lily) is found in slow flowing rivers in July including the Thames in little recesses.


He also bemoan the lack of sounds from the birds and the hot weather.





He also mentions enchantress nightshade and gypsywort which I thought had such great sounding names, I would include them for your viewing pleasure.






July is also a time of ripening fruits and one of my favourites is the gooseberry.


Gooseberries are native to Britain, but they have been cultivated for many years. They are primarily used in desserts.   It was always my job to top and tail. They have this bit of stalk at one end and a bit of left over flower at the other and we used to cut these off with a pair of scissors. Took forever. But the result, gooseberry crumble, was well worth it.

Until next time, Happy Rambles

4 comments:

  1. Is gooseberry good? What does it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, they taste like --- gooseberries. Uniquely. They are quite sour so they need lots of sugar, and have lots of tiny seeds, but yes they are good. They make good jam too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of fringed Buckbean floating on a lazy river in July.....

    ReplyDelete