Thursday, July 8, 2010

Searching for Regency London



by Ann Lethbridge

Still on my first afternoon in London, I walked past the British Museum an few steps past my hotel and wandered along Greek Street. While the buildings date back to the 18th century, most of the facades were added in the early 1900's.

Here we see the The Seven Pillars of Hurcules Pub with its 1733 structure and updated front. Dickens referred to this pub and a couple of other buildings in this street in his Tale of Two Cities.

The story of course is set during the the Rein of Terror in France, which is something that interests me as a writer.

The buildings beside the pub were also from the 1730's but were updated during the early 1800's.

This building, numbers 12-13 the largest in Greek Street was originally named Portland House.

From 1794 until 1797 Josiah Wedgewood displayed his wares here.
The rooms mentioned on the ground floor were a 'Hall', 'Counting house' and 'Shop' and on the first floor a 'Great room', another room, a 'Flowerpot room' and a 'Gallery'. Outside, mention is made of 'Painting Shops, Stable, damaged ware room, Scowering room, retort room, Pearl ware room, Laboratory, Printing and Pattern rooms' and of a 'Chapel-Building with Packing and unpacking House'

The firm then moved to 8 St James Square.

My destination is Horse Guards. But I realize I have used up the time set aside for this blog and since I took quite a few pictures, I will save them for next time we go rambling in London.

No comments:

Post a Comment