Friday, December 5, 2008

Flora and Fauna of Regency Britain - December

December already. Christmas just around the corner. I'm hoping to find some interesting Christmassy things to post for you later in the month, but here is our usual article.

Here is what our naturist says about December

And yet Winter has its pleasures;--the frosty morning’s walk, with its invigorating breezes—the long nights, devoted alternately to study and to society, with the enlivening blaze of a sea-coal fire—and the ‘glass that cheers, but not inebriates’—are no small attractions, and peculiarly endear to us this festive season of the year.

Now, too, the fascinating, rosy-cheeked, little son of Venus, not unfrequently seeks the warm shelter of a Christmas parlour; and his wings ‘with napkins dried,’ and ‘from wet and cold at ease,’ he soon tries

If the wet hath not damaged the string of his bow;

And many a swain, and many a fair, will find, to their cost, ‘they have trouble enough with their heart.’ The laughing month of May, and the frigid and cheerless December, are equally favourable to the attacks of the sly, little urchin.


Methinks this gentleman is a bit of a romantic.




Towards the end of the month, woodcocks and snipes become the prey of the fowler.

The jack-snipe (Scolopax galinula) which visits us at this period, is a decided species, with marked and singular habits.


Hunting was of course a major source of food for the table during this period and this is a picture of a Jack Snipe.


And with the leaves off the trees it would be far easier to spot this red fellow slinking around in the hedgerows. No doubt he is on the look out for gentlemen in hunting pink.

That is all for now. Until next time. Happy rambles.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Ms Young

    Following your 'ramblings' on Regency matters, which I do with violent attentiveness, I found it most enjoyable to observe within the pages of your diary, the fine plate of a Jack Snipe, which my field guide informs me is the smallest of snipes.

    It is a scarce winter visitor to Titchfield Haven - the nature reserve I oftentimes frequent as it is no great distance from my manor - & being an avian creature, more often than not, camouflaged in the reeds, also somewhat toilsome to locate.

    With such reminder of yours I will care to scout for this genus when I visit the reserve this coming Sunday. If I do locate an example of this vexatiously recondite creature, I will endeavour to post a plate of the same in my Nature Diary, which is clearly that of an inexpert beginner in ornithological interests.

    It may be of fugacious interest to yourself to note that I will also be dispatching a review in my diary of the theatrical production, presented this evening, by the C.C.A.D.S., of Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, at the New Theatre Royal, Portsmouth, Hampshire, which will present the accomplished talents of the Hampshire Regency Dancers.

    With all due deference & regard,
    Colonel Brandon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Colonel Brandon,

    Thank you so much for honoring me with your presence at my humble abode.

    Ah Hampshire. Such happy memories of that idyllic county. I will make a point of taking in Titchfield Haven next time I visit England's balmy shores.

    I will watch for your posting on the Jack Snipe, assuming you plan only to capture its likeness, not eat him for dinner.

    If I lived in Hampshire now, I would join your dancers immediately. Dancing is one of life's greatest pleasures.

    Thank you for your interesting comment.

    Michele Ann Young

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ms Young,

    Thank you for your swift reply. I beg you not to mistake my fondness of birds to be primarily towards that of a culinary nature. Nay, if it were true I would have long expired due to lack of sustenance, as the creature in question is verily recondite in its nature as I have said in my previous missive & most unwilling to be seen by human eye.

    For the meal of the day I would wager that widgeon pâté has more satisfying substance in any case.

    Regarding the fine theatrical production I attended, yesterday evening, I will endeavour to publish a short review in my journal sometime this day which may provide some interest, I am sure, to your good self.

    Yours, &c.
    Colonel Brandon.
    Nature Diary

    ReplyDelete