Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ch a a a nges



First, in case you haven't noticed what's happening on the sidebar, I want to introduce a new contributor to Regency Ramble Blog. Ann Lethbridge.

Ann and I have coffee every morning and I have invited her to add her thoughts to the blog. Ann writes regencies for Harlequin Historicals. Pull a bit closer to the screen Ann and let's get started.

Ann: Ta Mich. I calls 'er Mich. And she always bashes me arm. (grin) My first story with Harlequin is out in January. It'll make you a bit 'ot under the collar, but it's a quick read. An e-book and a sneak peak for the book coming out April 2009. Don'cha just looove that cover. 'Course the old gown looks more Vicky than Prinny (in-crowd code for George IV and Queen Victoria in case you was wondering) but the bloke wielding the brush certainly the mood of the story and came pretty close to getting the geyser and his lady--

Michele: Yes, yes, that's all very well and I wish you luck with the book and all, but while you get the chance to toot your horn now and again, this blog is all about research. We talked about that and you agreed.

Ann: I don't see why I shouldn't start off with a bit of horn tooting, mate.

Michele: Consider it tooted. Now what are you going to bring to this blog.

Ann: (grumbling under breath about bossy bff's) Well, you've been doing a top 'ole job with this blog, I was wrackin' me brains to think wot I could put in, mate. So I comes up wi' this. You likes to write about all those nobs and fancy folks up at the big 'ouse, as it were. I thought I might pick up on the common folks and the army. I really like those military gents. It must be the tight pants. And the boots. This is a picture of the Duke of Wellington. Especially I like the swords. (sees a glaze look in bff's eyes and does a quick recovery) And also a word of the month, or something.

Michele: A word of the month. That sounds educational.

Ann: Right. They'll be old words from the Regency. Ones don't see much any more.

Michele: We could start with that today.

Ann: All right. Wot about this one:

BAT. A low whore: so called from moving out like bats in the dusk of the evening.

Some people in England still say "the old bat", but I'm not sure they know what it means any more.

Michele: Sigh. I don't suppose it possible for you to get your mind out of the gutter?

Ann: 'Course it is. (wink) Wait till you see what's lined up on the military stuff.

Michele: Next week. Thursday. (mutter: I hope this is going to work)

Until next week - Happy rambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment