Thursday, July 16, 2015

Travelling Through Regency England

It wasn't all grand houses, you know.  So as I travel I take pictures of places my heroes and heroines might pass or visit on their way through the English countryside.

Here are a couple from around Lulworth.

 This Church abuts the castle and would have served the protestant congregation in counterpoint the to Roman Catholic Church inside the grounds.











A view I could not resist as we departed Lulworth














One cannot go far without finding a village in.  This is the Weld Arms, Weld being the family name of those who owned Lulworth Castle you will recall from earlier posts.  I though I would mention it just in case you did not.



This in dates from the 17th century and with a bit of imagination it can be used as a stopping place along the road of any Regency journey









Part of the back of the inn in case it might be needed for a quick escape.











Here we have a shot of the interior. Something tells me this is a combining of two floors.  I would re-imagine that upper window as looking out over the road from a private parlour.


 This interior with its low ceiling looks far more how I would imaging the lower floor of this inn.  But of course it to has been updated.


Below we have the sign with the Weld family Arms.








And so we leave Dorset and move on to Hampshire.  More next time










No comments:

Post a Comment