Thursday, August 22, 2013

Saltram Below Stairs Part 2

Moving on to:
The Great Kitchen at Saltram was described in 1811 by the Lady Boringdon's brother as, immense & in the utmost order of neatness. The Borigdon's must have been very proud of this kitchen if they were showing their guests around. Or perhaps he was thinking of doing something new at his own house and was looking for ideas.

I have to say that I always have difficulty deciding what pictures to use. And how much is is too much. As always I have far more pictures that I have room for in a blog and have not wish to bore my reader. Here is the first of a selection that I thought gave a really good idea of this part of the house.

This one was built in 1779 and modernized in 1913.

This hearth incorporates an open range which dates from about 1810.  Very modern. As you can see, it has roasting spits driven by heat from the fire and a huge dripping pan to catch the fats. This would have been the centre of cooking during the regency. I must say I find it rather daunting, but I guess it depends what you are used to.

Something I loved about the Saltram kitchen was the large windows, all of which could be opened. The room was bright and airy, though I can imagine how hot it would have been too when cooking a meal for a dinner party on a summer evening.

This kitchen required a staff of ten to keep it running smoothly beneath the watchful eye of the cook, the housekeeper and the butler.

 The other thing that is always a classic in a kitchen of this size is the long central worktable.

If you are wondering about the black range in the middle of that table it is Victorian, and therefore ignored. At least by me.

Until next time, Happy Rambles.






No comments:

Post a Comment