Monday, October 18, 2010

Regency Fashion for October

by Ann Lethbridge


This summer I was fortunate to visit Hay-on-Wye or Croeso Y Gelli on the English/Welsh border, a town that specializes in book shops. Put historical authors and bookshops together and you may lose us for a few days.

The picture is of the largest bookshop in Hay. Yes, it is a castle. Not only are those books sitting outside in wooden bookcases, but the castle is filled with them, along with prints and maps. Heaven.

Since I especially enjoy looking at the fashions from the late Georgian era, particularly 1800 to 1830, so you can imagine my joy when I found fashion plates in one of the shops I visited that day. Since it is October, I thought I would share this one with you.

This is a fashion plate from La Belle Assemblee for October 1810. It is titled Pelisse Dress of Autumn. I imagine it as what we might call a coat dress these days. The description is as follows:

A pelisse dress of autumnal brown sarsnet, made low in the neck, trimmed down the front and round the bottom with a rich trimming of vandyked white satin, ornamented with silver frogs; the sleeves buttoned on the inside of the arm, to correspond with the front of the dress; over the bosom is tied a light white net mantle, scolloped, and ornamented with acorn tassels. White satin bonnet, with a bunch of wheat in front, and short lace veil. Brown sandals and gloves. Green parasol.

I notice they didn't say anything about the dog. I can't make up my mind if he is a friend or foe. He really looks like he wants to bite one of the many tassels hanging off that gown!

Until next time, happy rambles

2 comments: