Friday, April 23, 2010

Regency Travel

by Michele Ann Young

I thought I would chime in here with a bit more on carriages. This next picture is particularly useful if you would like something to go wrong with your carriage.

Or you want your hero or heroine to cling to something, or even jump out. It is a long way down my friends.


I fear you might need your quizzing glass or your lorgnette to read the darn thing, though!



This is a laundolet, a rather elegant affair. I noticed that most of these carriages were convertibles, apart from the travelling carriages or chariots as they ware also called.

There are likely a couple of reason for this. Firstly, it would be cheaper to built a soft top and secondly, these were see and be seen vehicles. Of course the extreme was the phaeton with no top at all. Though some did have them.

I wanted to include a travelling chariot. We saw a picture of one last day, but I thought this one much clearer that the one my colleague produced earlier in the week. So there!



What I liked about this is the insignia on the door, and the lamps on each of the front corners in particular.

I can't imagine traveling in the dark with nothing but those to see the way. It also clearly shows glass, so the passengers can see forwards.

There were bigger travelling carriages than this of course, this one looks like a speedy affair, but an old lady might own something that looked more like a mail coach.

If you are wondering where people kept their horses and carriages in Town, we will have some pictures of that next time.

Until then, Happy Rambles

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Great post!

    What's your source material? (I don't even write Regencies, but the history major in me wants to go do some further reading...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, source material comes from many places. The more you dig into books about the Regency, the more you find there is to learn. But your question is a really good one. I am going to try to put up a page of useful books and links as a project and a helpful resource for others. Your question reminds me to get started.

    Diane, glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete