Monday, January 19, 2009

The London of the Ton - Part II



Continuing on with my topic from last time, here are a few more images you might enjoy.

This is a shop on Old Bond Street in 1817. It is the Western Exchange. It reminds me of the departments stores in London when I was a child, with the ladies waiting to serve behind large polished wood counters and the high ceilings and columns. There doesn't appear to be much in the way of goods on display, does there? No glass cases.

There is a great deal of information in this picture, so I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.



Sticking with the theme of shopping here is a view of Bond Street in 1823. A tad outside the Regency, but still close enough.

The name over the shop is Royal Sams Library as best as I can make out, but I haven't seen anything to say it is a real name. On the other hand, I do think that the image of the street, the books in the window, the shop owner at the door, is very typical of the time.

The dog interested me. It has that lion cut that is favored for poodles.


The last picture brings us back to the plight of the common man in the street, and the common boy. This is the infamous chimney sweep and his boys. I am sure they were a common and unremarked sight on the streets of London.

If you look closely in the right hand corner you will see the tools of the trade of the street sweeper sitting on the cobbles, - a brush, shovel and hemp bag. In London during this period there were more young people trying to earn a living than there were any other age group.

On that happy note, I will wish you happy rambles until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment