Thursday, July 3, 2008

Regency Fashion for July

First sneaking in with some news. I will be blogging on Petticoats and Pistols this coming weekend. I know its not Regency, but it is historical. I'm giving away a couple of books, so drop in and comment, or ask a question.

All right, Fashion.

I thought I would pick out something from the beginning and something toward the end of the true Regency.



Opera Gown 1811. From La Belle Assemblee fashions for July

A blue satin robe, worn over a slip of white satin, let in at the bosom and sleeves (which are short) with silver Moravian net work.

A tunic of Egyptian brown sarsnet or crape, confined on the shoulders with diamond studs, and trimmed round the bottom with silver net, separated in small divisions by spangled open work balls.

A chaplet wreath of green foil, placed twice round the hair, which is disposed in long irregular ringlets. Earrings of silver open work, studded with brilliants, resembling in form the bell of a child’s coral.

Shoes of brown satin, bound and sandalled with silver braiding. Long gloves of white kid.


I love this gown, partly because of the way the description rolls off the tongue. If there is anything Egyptian about that tunic I'll eat my flail. But the design is gorgeous. Diamond studs on the shoulders. I should be so lucky. And Moravian net work--some of the netting we talked about a while ago. I like the way the slippers are described as sandaled. My guess is that they have criss-crossed braid which also went up the ankles. I drooled over this one.



Walking Dress 1818

Look how different this one is, much fuller, not so classic, all those rouleaus around the hem making it look bulky.

It is of course a walking dress, and she is at the beach. Summer holidays away from the city. The hat is certainly going to keep the sun off that pale English complexion. Also note the trusty sunshade/umberella.

There is no detailed description for this plate from Ackermans, but the general observations for walking dresses for July are as follows:

Muslin robes still continue in very great estimation in morning dress; but close round dresses begin also to be a good deal worn. The bodies of these dresses are made in a style very similar to the robes. The skirts are generally trimmed high, either with flounces of worked muslin, or rouleaus of clear muslin placed between rows of embroidery; some ladies, however, give a preference to ruches of soft muslin, placed at a considerable distance from each other; there are three or four of these ruches and they are always very full. Waists continue as short as usual, and long sleeves are worn fuller than last month.

Personally I'd sooner have my flip-flops and tee shirt and shorts. But this now and that was then.

Talking about then, I have some nice bits on the Princess of Wales birthday, which was July 1807. So I think we will look at that on Monday.

Until then Happy Rambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment