Monday, June 2, 2008

Fashion for the Month of June

If you are up for some fun, the Casablanca Authors, me included, are running a round robin story. It started on Sunday. Here is the link.

Now for the serious business. Fashion. I realize that since I started this series of articles I have only posted one gown for June. So I have lots of choice.



I chose this fashion plate because of the child. It comes from the Lady's Monthly Museum for June 1812

Of particular note is the announcement that these dresses were invented by Mrs. Osgood of Lower Brook Street.


This first gown is called a Morning Domestic Dress. My guess is that this means you wear it at home.

it is described as —A white jaconet muslin gown, buttoned down the front with white regency buttons and trimming formed en lozenge; handkerchief, gloves, and sandals of dragon fly green; figurante cap ornamented with a rose in front. Interesting to find the term regency buttons in this description. I have no idea what it means, do you? Also note that the handkerchief is tied at the neck.

The child's outfit is described as a dress: A la matelot Hollandois. Certainly the term refers to a dutch sailor. But was this a girl or a boy. Given that there are definitely trousers going on here, I think it is a little boy.


This plate is also from the Lady's Monthly Museum. This time from 1804.

The first gown is a walking dress.

A Straw Hat turned in Front, ornamented with Roses. A short round Dress of pale Pink Muslin, trimmed round the Bottom with broad White Lace; White Tassels. Habit Shirt of Muslin, trimmed with Lace.
So, since the dress is the short pink tunic, then does the habit shirt go all the way to the ground? Or are we looking at the petticoat. The habit shirt would refer to the kind of shirt one wore beneath a riding habit, but my guess is that this one goes all the way down to her feet. the way it is depicted, it looks almost see through. Very daring, I think.

The next is a full or evening dress.

A Turban of White Muslin, White Ostrich Feathers. Long round Dress of White Muslin, embroidered down the Front, and round the Bottom, with Gold; each Side of the Gold trimmed with Blond Lace: Sleeves looped up in Front, with Gold Cord and Tassels. Fan, and Ridicule.

I actually this this woman looks quite miserable. Something to do with the turban? Or is it the low neckline. If she so much as breathes, she is in danger of popping right out! Here we also see the reticule given its nickname of ridicule.

Well that is it for me this time. I look forward to talking with you again soon. Next time we will have our usual Flora and Fauna article.

Until then, Happy Rambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment